Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I push my fingers into my eyes, it's the only way to slowly stop the pain

Right now, the "quiet storm, soft and warm" type radio stations are going all Christmas all the time. That's cool with me, especially as I love the crooner stuff, Crosby, Sinatra and so on. Just like my taste in candy, I like my seasonal music and TV. That said, listening to Christmas radio is like playing Russian Roulette. While I might get a Crosby singing "O Holy Night," I might also get my least favorite song of all time....Christmas shoes. (link has lyrics and a sound file...if you dare)

It's the most maudlin piece of dreck to beset the airwaves, ever. You would need to have women and children crying non-stop for three minutes to top it. The song concerns a poverty stricken child who hits up a stranger for a few bones to buy a pair of shoes for his dying mother. Just to turn the knife the little tyke says "And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight" That's right she might not make it to Christmas, sniff. I hate this manipulative crap. What's worse, the boy is sent to our narrator (by the deity, no less) to remind him that Christmas is not about buying presents. No, it's about dying mothers and self absorbed people who think God goes around and uses other's misfortune to make the righteous feel more righteous. I bet the God Warrior LOVES this song.

No comments: