Monday, September 18, 2006

I remember Halloween

We try to buy a few new kid's Halloween books each year. It's fun to break out the fun seasonal books and the Halloween ones are often quite fun.

My Mom sent A Very Brave Witch, which is quite good. I was familiar with the illustrator who drew the art for Diary of a Worm, but the author was new to me. It's a nice little story about not being afraid of people who are different. There are some nice witch and ghost illustrations and I liked the touch of the tombstones. If you look you see names like Joey Ramone and Winslow Homer.

If you go in for the more ghoulish, I would recommend the House That Drac Built. Quite a few of the images might freak out your more sensitive children, but mine do laugh at it. You get to introduce your kids to some classic monsters with this book.

It's hard to go wrong with the Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything. You get to make all sorts of loud sounds and remind kids not to be overly concerned about noises.

The witch talk reminds me of one of my favorite boardgames of the 70s, Which Witch. It's a simple game where like Moustrap, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time you will get whacked by a broom, bowling ball or other implement. Here is detail on how it is played.

No comments: