Friday, August 18, 2006

Some books I won't be reading the fall

I personally found House of Leaves to be pretty annoying. Large portions of the story took place in footnotes, the story used wild font and even word placement changes. And it was really, really long-winded. The author has a new book that promises to be even more of "challenging," which is marketer speak for "annoying." Get this, we get the story from two narrators, one is told from the front of the book and one is told from the back. Both with crazy font changes. Read the Kirkus review and then look at the pages provided by Amazon. I'm not opposed to crazy narrative structures, I think Use of Weapons did it really well, but this seems to be complication for the sake of complication. Who has time for that?

Nelson Demille has a new one about nuclear terrorism coming out. I used to like him, back in the Gipper days, but now his recent books seem really long and ungood.

It makes me sad to think of how many good sci fi books are not on store shelves because the SEVEN Dune prequels are. Here is number 7.

No comments: