Sunday, August 27, 2006

Italian bakery treats in Portland

With the death of Criollo, I am now wandering Portland in search of bakery goodness. I was listening to NPR and heard a story about sfogliatelle, a pastry made somewhat famous by the Sopranos. Listen to the story, it will have searching for Italian bakeries pronto. So I looked up and found DiPrima Dolci, over in North Portland. With the sfogiatelle and my fave cookie of all, the amareti, as possible rewards we (the kids and I). Of course no sfogiatelle on hand, and since the word is well nigh impossible to say, I couldn't ask for it. They did have a good amareti (not quite dense enough to be great) and the kids loved the Italian flag cookies (dyed almond cake dipped in choc.) So it was well worth it. I think I am going to have to upload the NPR story onto the Ipod so I can try to phonetically memorize it just before I re-enter the bakery.

If you know where I might find sfogiatelle in PDX, please do tell.

No comments: