Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Please don't take a picture

We are out in Bend, OR enjoying the 75 degree weather, so I am away from the computer. Hence the light blogging. Anyway, I just saw Bad Day at Black Rock. This is one I admire more than I like I would say. I admired the technique but thrillers have moved so far forward it seems more like a historical artifact. I did like the use of giant southwestern vistas, the early (1954) tough guy Lee Marvin and the excellent use of pacing. Other parts seemed stale. This felt like an early class in a seminar in thrillers that would have led to Hitchcock. If you like the old school stuff then maybe you would get more out of it than I did. I should mention the attitude to the Japanese seemed considerably more liberal than I would have anticipated, but we were new allies at that point.

No comments: