Thursday, March 02, 2006

I might just bust out crying

I'd seen a lot of press about how The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is one of the best new kids books around. So I checked it out, and it's great but I will be keeping it from the kids for a little longer despite the 4-8 year recommendation. This sucker is SAD. As Kirkus reviews says "Keep the tissues handy for this one" This is no joke. There is at least one tragic death and about five tragic separations. Edward Tulane is a toy rabbit that thinks too much of himself and far too less about others. He gets lost on a ocean voyage and ends up in many different deserving hands, which he comes to love only to lose again. As you might imagine, each loss is pretty tough. It ends up working out well, but I felt really bad in one particular case. You should certainly check it out, but read it and decide if your kids are up to it yet.

The book is illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline, easily one of my favorite children's book artists. His drawing and colors in the Crossing make that a must-own. Our copy is thrashed but we hang on to it because everyone loves it. And nobody dies.

No comments: