Friday, December 22, 2006

My life, my love and my lady is the sea

Fans of naval history will want to have a look at this review of a new book on the early American Navy. I for one cannot get enough naval history. I did grow up in a navy town, which probably has something to do with it. The general American love of big machines may also play a role. At the moment, I am reading an account of the First World War at Sea, called Castles of Steel.

It's a great read and is a follow up to Massey's account of the decline in Anglo-German relations, Dreadnought. They are great reads, although I think Massey pays a little too much attention to mini-biographies of the various politicians and Admirals involved. I would have liked more attention paid to the reasons the navies developed as they did and more analysis of the respective strategies.

For more on the "how did they get here" question, I would like to read the hard to find Rules of the Game. I nearly picked it up once, when it was still in print. Foolish, foolish me. For a more analytical, if less readable, account of the First World War at Sea, I highly recommend A Naval History of World War One.

No comments: