Friday, June 30, 2006

Whither the soundtrack?

Soundtracks are just not as exciting as they once were. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention. I've heard plenty of people say "There's no good music these days," which is of course crazy talk. So maybe it's me. I did read something somewhere which mused that the spread of iTunes and other internet media makes it so easy to find the wierd B sides that often made soundtracks cool. Whatever, here are some good ones from the good ole days.

Pretty in Pink: Lots of good songs but Bring on the Dancing Horses and the title track are particular stand outs. The movie is supposedly about the horror of high school, but is really about the never-ending cascade of doom that we call life.

Repo Man: Is there a better 80s movie than Repo Man (that's a rhetorical question as the obvious answer is no?) No videos for Pablo Picasso Was Never Called An Asshole or Let's Have a War but for the crossover skate punk hit Institutionalized. While this movie appears to be about escaping the cosmic horror of everyday existance, perhaps it really is about the perils of not getting any, as Iggy Pop sings in the title track:"I didn't get fucked and I didn't get kissed, I got so fucking pissed." Words of wisdom Iggy, words of wisdom.

Decline of Western Civilization: I'll admit it, my favorite parts are the back and forth insults in the Fear set. But here's the Circle Jerks.

Singles: I liked this one a lot more at the time, although I still love State of Love and Trust (video has bonus Ricky Rachman sighting) and Birth Ritual. The other stuff doesn't really hold up as well (see: I Nearly Lost You There.)

No comments: