Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Punk's not dead?

I started England's Dreaming today. It's part of my effort to read more deeply in the music area. Anyway, it's good so far. I like how the author emphasizes how important the social conditions of the late 70s were to the formation of punk. He cites the decline of family, the rise of drugs and death of 60s values. Combined with the class structure that ostracized many, the ground was ripe for a new form of angry music. The people who formed the bands were the ostracized and they felt the rage at their circumstances. I suppose this is why follow-on or latter day punk seems so contrived and false. Without the social and personal background, the music is just a shadow. I'm not saying that no recent punk is authentic, just look at Maximum Rock and Roll. It's just that much of it is a pose, and I think that this does change the quality. All of this is obvious I know.

No comments: