Thursday, June 08, 2006

Mind the gap

I just recently got ahold of Meat is Murder. I don't mean the book or some veggie manifesto, but the Smiths album. What's the big deal you say? The big deal is that I am a major Smiths fan, given to Morrissey impressions when I am one drink over the line (OK who isn't?). And I am also a completist. Not a crazy completist that makes mix tapes of every version, demo, Peel Session, remix, cover or otherwise of my fave songs, but the kind that wants all the albums of my faves. I was religious on REM up until Up. So normally I manage to get ahold of the major works of bands I like. I don't subscribe to the "representative album" behavior of Matt. When I asked if he wanted a Beulah record, he said he had one and that is all he needed. This is a guy with over 40GB of music on his computer, so maybe he is bumping up against his computer's capacity for tunes or something.

There are a surprising number of albums I do not have. For example,

The Clash - Sandinista
Sleater-Kinney - All Hands on the Bad One
Ramones - Subterranean Jungle (OK I got this one, but YEARS after my principal Ramones listening years.)
Pogues - If I Should Fall From the Grace of God

I should own them all, but I don't. Of course, I have yet to really investigate Dylan or the Kinks either. So the gaps in musical experience remain profound.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny you should post this, t, cuz i dug out bee thousand from GBV and it is the only album i need of theirs even though i own 4 of them.
and
steve, i gotta disagree about radiohead because you have to have both ok computer AND kid a
-nbk

Tripp said...

Man you can take your Radiohead and stick it up your (yeah!).

Alright I do REALLY like "There There."

In general I have not listened to Radiohead. You can mock me when I enter my early 2008 Radiohead phase.

But if a band is so static that they can taken in by a representative album, then the band probs isn't that great. The Ramones are pretty similar, but you really need the first four albums. Like REALLY.

Anonymous said...

i'll mock you for paraphrasing Limp Bizkit in order to diss Radiohead
-nbk

Anonymous said...

i'll mock you for paraphrasing Limp Bizkit in order to diss Radiohead
-nbk

Tripp said...

I was going to say something like"they're both the same man" but realized that is total bs.