Friday, November 10, 2006

Bring on the body count

I was surprised by the degree to which I liked X-Men 3. The reviews were mediocre and I never get to the theater anymore, so it was almost an afterthought for me. I suppose I was in the mood for a giant mutant fight, which is what you get in the last third of the movie. The movie is not as thoughtful or character driven as the first two, but I found it quite entertaining. A few things stood out to me:

The body count: Dead, lost powers, disappeared, the mutant body count is quite high in this movie. Those who want a canonical movie will be displeased, but it certainly provided for a number of suprises.

The political side: The plot of the movie revolves around a cure for mutants. The creator couldn't stand the fact that he had a mutant son so he developed it to make his son not gay. Ooops. Yes there is a strong subtext about how people treat gays in the movie. You could also read it as fear about Muslims too as Ebert reads it.

The power of the Internet. Juggernaut, one of the bad guys, at one point says to Kitty Pryde, "I'm Juggernaut, bitch," which is a reference to this re-dubbed X-Men cartoon video. Careful with the volume, foul language abounds! Crazy, will we be hearing "Are you laughing be-yotch, Do you find me funny?" sometime soon?

No comments: