Monday, February 20, 2006

There's so many of us

I am about a third of the way into My War, Killing Time in Iraq by Colby Buzzell and it flat out rocks. Buzzell wrote a blog while serving in Iraq and this books builds on that writing. I've seen it compared to Catch 22 and Dispatches, but I don't think those are appropriate comparisons. I suppose it is meant to confer classic status on this book. Unlike those books which are more or less fiction, this is a memoir of life as a soldier in Iraq. It feels a lot like an equivalent to Gunner Palace, if the soldier in Gunner Palace had been far more articulate. Buzzell is foul mouthed, booze obsessed and disdainful of many, but his descriptions of his own life and the lives of soldiers are riveting, both for their clarity and their apparent candor. He has no discernible political agenda (such as lauding or abhorring the war and/or military life) but does want to describe the experience. He does dis the hell out of those he feels deserves it though. I am taking this one slowly as I don't want to miss anything.

No comments: