Saturday, February 11, 2006

Tension grows in Afghanistan

I finally got around to the Kite Runner and I liked it more than I had expected. For some reason I thought it was going to be all about the kite running aspect. Kite fighting involves using kites the strings of which are covered in glass, to cut down other kites. Last kite flying wins. That part was interesting, but the main plot is a mixture of Atonement and Little Boy Lost. If you liked either of those books, you will probably enjoy this one (and vice versa). The main character has wronged his extended family and returns to Afghanistan in an attempt to make things right. The characters feel very real, making mistakes they can't seem to undo. My only complaint is that there are a number of unrealistic reunions between characters. This is a minor complaint though.

The Multnomah County Library is running an Everybody Reads program which encourages everyone in town to read the Kite Runner. I like the fact that city is actively promoting reading, although my libertarian side is a wee bit leery of getting everyone to read the same book. Its a silly reaction, but it shows my anti-joiner biases. The Multnomah web page has a list of books about Afghanistan in case you want to learn more.

No comments: