Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Gilead

Have you read Gilead yet? If so, you will like reading this Powell's interview with Marilynne Robinson. It would make for some excellent book club ammo. I know most of you cats are wise to good books, so you probably have read this one or have it in your possession. For those on the fence, I know the premise isn't that exciting. An elderly preacher in mid century Iowa writing letters to his young son doesn't sound so hot. BUT IT IS. The family history is fascinating, including lots of bloody Kansas and the questions of right and wrong and responsibilities to others are just enthralling. Easily the best fiction book I read last year.

Since my religous cultural literacy is weak, I didn't getthe reference to Gilead. Here is some info if you are curious.

No comments: