Thursday, January 19, 2006

And that's when will explode

I am fascinated by nuclear weapons. They are the worst killing devices ever created, the (potential) realization of Nobel's to end (major) war through terrible weaponry, the (potential) cause of our next war, a cultural force, and a thing of evil beauty when detonated. I feel vaguely wrong about being in some way attracted to them. I think it is like the urge to look at a wreck. Check out these fascinating images from Michael Light's 100 Suns project. Next time I am in the den of iniquity known as Las Vegas, I plan to hit the museum of nuclear weapons testing.

On the subject of things exploding, check out this short video of a test ship being sunk by a torpedo. Makes me want to avoid being on ships that are being stalked by submarines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait. So you are saying that I shouldn’t enjoy nukes? Atomic Cafe shouldn’t be cool even without the satire? But we are children of the 80s; isn't it inevitable?

Tripp said...

It's more complex than that. I say enjoy them, but be slightly uneasy about that enjoyment.