Sunday, September 18, 2005

I'd rather be famous

Ebay is auctioning off mentions in upcoming novels. It is meant to benefit a non-profit that promotes First Amendment rights. So if you have lots of money and a great desire to see your name on a tombstone in the upcoming Neil Gaiman novel or perhaps name an alien species in the upcoming David Brin book then by all means make a bid. I was slightly bummed to see that I missed my chance to name a character in a Jonathan Lethem penned comic book, but then again I don't throw around two grand on such things that often.

How much cooler would it be to place your own or someone you know's name in a song? Judging by the market price for a minor mention, slipping your name into a verse of your fave bands love song would probably set you back a couple hundred grand. You could just take a lot of lessons and buy some studio time with that cash. So maybe it's a bad idea.

No comments: