Monday, September 19, 2005

Cookbook help

Does anyone know a cookbook with good tofu recipes? I have Jeanne Lemlin's vegetarian cookbooks, which are great, but the tofu quotient is a little low. I checked a number of websites, and allrecipes has many but that site is REALLY spotty. Cooking Light has some too, but they are mostly stir fry variations. Any good ideas?

The reason I ask is because I can't get enough of tofu despite my carnivorous ways. And the kids like it. Anytime I can make something for me and for them, it is a good thing. They will happily eat up the uncooked white blocks, which I find rather dreadful.

3 comments:

Tripp said...

Thanks J, I found a copy on Amazon for 99 cents, can't beat that.

Matt recommends Moosewood books but I think those are vegan. I can't live without dairy.

Tripp said...

Then I am misinformed re: Moosewood. They do seem to be iconic cookbooks. I plan to sell a number of books this week and Ihope the bookstore has some cookbooks for which I might trade.

I need to get out of my peanut sauce over tofu rut. I have two versions, one from Jeanne Lemlin and one from Caprial's (Hotter than Hell Chicken). Both are great but I don't want to tire my palate.

Tripp said...

Here is a tofu cooking technique I had not yet seen. This from a recipe from 101cookbooks (via Joanna). I usually try to dry it first, but still get the stickiness, this should be helpful.


"Add tofu to a large non-stick skillet without any oil and toss over high heat until all water has evaporated; add canola oil, reduce heat to medium-high and fry, tossing frequently until tofu is firm"