Thursday, September 29, 2005

Cruel, wicked Hershey's

I recently learned of the huge variety of Kit Kat's available in other markets. In Japan you can get Green Tea Kit Kat, Lemon Cheesecake Kit Kat and Kit Kat Passionfruit, among a zillion others. Down in South Africa, they have pineapple (yuck that can keep that shit.) Germans can look forward to the occasional blood orange, cinnamon or hazelnut and our friends in Britain have Christmas pudding. What do we get in the States, white fucking chocolate and coffee. And dark chocolate if we ask nicely. What is the cause of this travesty? Why is the American consumer denied these confectionary pleasures (although maybe we shouldn't care since this guy says many of them are crap)? Maybe because the Japanese and other nationalities like wierd crap Americans don't, but that is too rational an answer. Instead I blame Hershey which holds the American license to Kit Kat. In the rest of the world Nestle makes Kit Kat.

I am feeling aggreived against Hershey because of their rude response to my query regarding special holiday Kit Kats. I emailed and asked if they would have any. Here is their response.

Thank you for contacting The Hershey Company. Unfortunately, we do not have the material you wanted and are unable to fulfill your request. Your interest in our company is appreciated.

If you are going to blow someone off, you should do it more nicely. Contrast this to Odwalla. I once emailed them asking when Tangerine juice was coming out again. They sent a cheery email and then sent me $10 in Odwalla gift certificates! That's customer relationship building. Now, I know that candy espionage is a big deal. I had a friend who worked for Nestle and apparently there are constant attempts to figure out what the other teams are doing. So I can understand if Hershey wants to keep their Kit Kat plans hush-hush. But what about a friendly way of saying no?

3 comments:

Brack said...

I have had, most regrettably, similar difficulty trying to glean tidings of the Return of the McRib.

Bastards.

Tripp said...

Those McFuckers are probably concerned that Wendy's will roll out some top secret counter-McRib like the a parmesan chipotle burger or some such.

I am trying to think of a reasonable question to ask of the makers of the Cow Tale and Valomilk, to provide another counterpoint. Thoughts?

I should mention that Target is now carrying the Tootsie Roll Fruit Twisties. This is glorious news.

Tripp said...

"Gross yet wonderful" A perfect description of that treat. More marshmallow, I say, more!

I think I may have a night with Key Lime Almond Joy in my future, although my coconut heart lives with Zagnut. Krazy Kit Kats can stop by any old time, if you know what I'm sayin'.

If you like the Reese's you have to try Safeway Selects peanut butter cups. Yes it is milk chocolate but they are somehow even better than Reese's. The only downside is that they come in bags only. Best move is to bring hiking or somewhere where you can share them.