Friday, September 16, 2005

Flicker update

I am still reading Flicker, and it rocks. It has been awhile since I have been this excited about a book. Maybe since Kavalier and Clay? It's not quite that good, but I find myself putting it down so it will last longer. If you like movies and the culture of movies, you will really like the book. The book concerns a film student who becomes dedicated to an obscure director. I hesitate to say anymore about the story as his study of forgotten director Max Castle is so much fun to follow. The pacing is slow and almost languorous at times, but somehow works. It could be that the story becomes slowly more sordid and creepy as the novel progresses. It is the slow racheting of unease that makes the book so fun. Some no doubt will feel he goes too slowly, but this is far better than the novels which reveal their dark secret half way through and then have a 100 page chase scene.

As I mentioned I am only reading this thanks to the Simon Le Bon Book Club. Check out the other books he likes. I just picked up the Little Friend thanks to his review.

No comments: