Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Lost and found

One of the great pleasures of book shopping is finding a lost treasure. Ideally I would like to stumble on something at the bookstore. I don't think this has ever happened to me. Instead I look to reviews, essays and other sources of book information. Neglected Books is dedicated to recommending forgotten books. A number of these are no doubt forgotten for good reason, but I wager many are unjustly forgotten.

Finding some of the books mentioned will be a challenge. Many are long out of print and will take a strong search. I recommend working with a good used book store or using your library's Interlibrary Loan Service.

For lesser known but easy to obtain books, have a look at the New York Review of Books Classics list. I am currently reading the Big Clock, a mystery from 1946, republished under the Classics imprint. Its quite solid.

No comments: