Wednesday, April 25, 2007

It's a long way across all of this black

As soon as I saw the news about the potentially habitable planet being discovered, I thought it would be good to talk about scifi colonization stories. But then I realized I don't really like them that much. Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars didn't do much for me. I recently picked up CJ Cherryh's Forty Thousand in Gehenna and Foreigner, but they are less about colonization than coming to deal with the local environment. OK, so they are about an aspect of colonization.

For the most part, I like future stories about established societies in space rather than brand new ones. There must be good colonization stories, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

2 comments:

Brack said...

How could you forget Legacy of Heorot?

To quote Fletch I, "Boy, what in THE hell is the matter with you?"

Tripp said...

Yes, I am a fool for forgetting that one. It rules.