Thursday, December 22, 2005

Venice

Through double-gifting, I have come into a copy of the City of Falling Angels. It's written by the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and concerns Venice. One of my favorite afternoons of all time was spent on the Punta Della Dogana. Nothing spectacular happened, the view was just so great that I sat there reading and enjoying the view. I also like the city's atmosphere, the languor and the sense of decayed opulence. I'm not sure if books like Death in Venice or Dead Lagoon feed off of the city's atmosphere or help create it. My tentative answer is both, the writers come because of the culture or atmosphere, but their books inform everyone's views after they are written.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Airplane reading! Thanks!

Brack said...

Dead Lagoon is one of my fave Dibdin books; it's right up there with the Last Sherlock Holmes Story (thanks Steve!).

Tripp said...

Yes Dead Lagoon worked very well. The later Aurelio Zen books were a little annoying. Last Sherlock may be my fave.

Anonymous said...

What are these Dead Lagoon and Last Sherlock of which y'all speak?

Tripp said...

They are fine books by Dibdin, click the links and learn more. If you must pick, take the Holmes one, it rules.