Sunday, December 25, 2005

It must be the devil, trying to make you go astray

I watched the Exorcism of Emily Rose and it didn't work for me. The ads led me to expect lots of horror like the Exorcist, but it is mostly a courtroom drama with wierd mildy scary interludes. The opening shots reference the Exorcist, but don't reach the Exorcist's opening creepiness. Remember the fighting dogs, the broken clocks and then the really scary demon statue? You don't get that.

I also didn't like the theological message of the film. It was pretty medieval, and concerns martyrdom. It seemed out of place today and I didn't work for me. I should ask some Catholics what they think. Maybe they would be down, but I wasn't. This wasn't my biggest problem, but it didn't help.

Also if you are watching 40 year old virgin, the ending is sweet so be sure to wait for it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This will sound terrible, but I disliked many of the Narnia books for the same reason -- it was too in your face. Subtle allegory is fine. And intrinsic Christian references are inevitable, when the author is a Christian, raised in a Christian society. But I can do without stories that tell me that I can only be successful, if I have blind faith.

Tripp said...

Then you are on Pullman's side I see. You can dislike the books, no one will blame you

Anonymous said...

Well many *will* blame me, but no one whom I respect, I suspect.

Blind faith and obediance are certainly not values I'd wish to instill in my children (if I had any).

Remember -- Close the Fortress of Your Mind

Brack said...

As I watched one of my 20 mo. olds book it out of our yard and into the alley behind our house this morning - despite my repeated instructions to the contrary, addressing him by his full name and warnings of dire consequences once his mother came home - I thought back to this thread and decided that a little blind obedience may not be such a bad thing after all.

Anonymous said...

I remember my poor mother having to explain why I needed to do X, before I would comply. If her reasoning made sense, I was completely obedient.

Tripp said...

Nic from your stories of your youth, I see you as an 18 month old Socrates bantering back and forth with your mother, each delievering a volley of bon mots and rhetorical flourishes to the astonishment of all around you.

As a parent I just know that they ignore or try to evade you as much as possible and reason has little bearing on the matter

Anonymous said...

I didn't like it either

Anonymous said...

I was pretty damned willful in early memory. I wouldn't want to have raised me.

No Socratic bantering, just a firm conviction that "because I said so" didn't have any traction.