Sunday, April 06, 2008

Random

I'm sad to see that translator Robert Fagles has died. I thought his translation of the Odyssey was excellent. I'd like to read his other translations of classical works.

Simon Winchester has a new book coming out about Joseph Needham, the English historian of Chinese science. His multi-volume Science and Civilization in China always caught my eye in the used bookstores. There are few books so epic in subject and length. Procuring it new is none too cheap. Each of the seven volumes will run you $100 to $200 on Amazon. For those with short attention spans, Robert Temple has a single volume (and much cheaper) version.

NPR has a funny story about Eric Cartman. I still think the Cartman-centric Scott Tenorman must die is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. And it has Radiohead in it.

Bob Segar's Still the Same would make for a good unironic indie cover. So would Against the Wind, although we already have the excellent Highwaymen version.

No comments: