Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New crime book

I am in the middle of Tana French's In the Woods, which to my surprise is the beginning of a new series of police procedurals. I say surprise as the press I have seen tended to emphasize the suspense thriller elements, which are definitely present.

I am impressed that despite this being a debut, French has clearly already hid her stride. This is no mean feat as even the greatest take their time in getting it right. Peter Robinson had quite a few books under his belt before he took off. Dennis Lehane's first and the initial George Pelecanos books showed hope for future greatness, but weren't great in and of themselves.

So I guess French took her time with this one or threw a number of drafts and ideas away. If you like procedurals this one is for you. By the way, I realize I sound as if I like everything read I recently. Not so! I am actually tossing aside books I don't like so quickly I don't feel I can say anything about them.

No comments: