Thursday, April 17, 2008

Indie man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind saying fuck

Brack sent over the new Weezer single Pork n Beans, which is not about Rivers' favorite food, but instead is about trying to please the label and one's fans. It's a hooky, reference-laden, funny treat and I hope it gets some play. The chorus undermines the song a bit though. At the close he states "I don't give a hoot about what you think." A hoot? I know he is a Harvard-educated braniac, but this is hardly the verbiage of the rebellious rocker. I'm not sure he is really feelin' it here.

Contrast with Sleater Kinney's Entertain, the theme of which is similar. Carrie doesn't mind laying down the eff-bomb where appropriate. For a happier version check out B.A.D.'s Looking For A Song.

2 comments:

Brack said...

That version of Pork and Beans must be the radio edit . . . and if I were inclined to get all meta on you, I would natter on about secondary manipulations of the content engendering yet another layer of aesthetic meaning.

Tripp said...

No, never one to get meta, not you Brack. Bonus points if you can work a theorist into this.