Sunday, April 20, 2008

Next book

I had planned on my next fiction book being Douglas Preston's Blasphemy. His last book, Tyrannosaur Canyon, was a lot of fun, so I expect this one will be too. I am going to push it down the list aways as my most recent read, The Meaning of Night, is likely to put in a bad light. This excellent book has among its many virtues the excellent use of language.

Preston is a great thriller writer, but he is no stylist, and in the afterglow of the Meaning of Night, I am likely to notice the use of language. With a few book's distance, I am likely to notice its strong points as well.

You might ask why I read read thrillers at all. Like the times when you want to eat comfort food, there are times when you want comfort books. For me this is a wide range of escapist fiction, that includes thrillers, horror and giant fantasy novels. You just can't read these alone or you like your body, your mind will get flabby.

No comments: