Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The power of John Eckhart compels you

I have a thing for devils and demons. For some reason, I find the thought of them quite frightening, much more so than other fantastic villains like vampires. Maybe it is the near omnipotence, or maybe it is watching the Exorcist at far too young an age. Whatever, I just like reading stories about them ( which explains my great enjoyment of A Good and Happy Child.)

Sadly, demon and devil books have a tendency to suck. John Shirley's Demons is easily one of the worst books I have ever read (see my spilt bile here). And even the follow on Exorcist books didn't do that much for me (although this scene from Exorcist 3 scared the piss out of me).

So, whilst perusing the new selections at the library, I spied a thriller set amongst the aristocracy of Hell, I picked it up but quite rapidly put it back. Could it be any good? Anyway, today I thought I would check the reviews at Amazon to see what people think.

All I could remember was the demon concept, so I tried that and got....John Eckhart's Prayers that Rout Demons. While it seems to lean metaphorical, it also seems like it may be a how to guide to battling the infernal. Personally, assuming demons are in fact real, I think a professional is warranted. I turn to a professional to get a wasp nest out of my eaves, do dealing with a beast that can rend my soul is really beyond me. After all, as seen below, even the pros have problems.

5 comments:

Brack said...

Agreed, T Spot.

Three favorites of mine, which I read some twenty years ago and may prove to be sub-par in the cold light of day, are Devils of D-Day by Graham Masterson, Black Easter by James Blish and Legion by William Blatty (author of the Exorcist).


http://www.amazon.com/Devils-of-D-Day/dp/0523404492/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208985548&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Easter-James-Blish/dp/0380595680/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208985738&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Legion-William-Peter-Blatty/dp/B000NR7S50/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208985975&sr=1-1

Tripp said...

Having read/skimmed a Graham Masterson novel recently, I suspect re-reading Devils of D-Day might shatter your memories, so stay away.

Check out this creepy Legion/Exorcist 3 fan site
http://www.theninthconfiguration.com/about/

Look for the morphing head video.

Tripp said...

Is that Romulus and Remus in your photo, or did you speak something vaguely sinister due to the topic?

Brack said...

Yep; we've got Rom, Reem and Mama Wolf in the Capitolinizzy. S to the P to the Q to the R, yo.

Creepy clip on that site. I experienced the morphing head phenomenon on several occasions between 1989 and 1993 . . . usually between the hours of 2:00 and 6:00 am with an ostensibly female subject and the return of sobriety.

Tripp said...

That movie could have used more frightmarish scenes, so I am sad they didn't keep it. You can see part of it in this trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe34ekPWi0o