Friday, March 23, 2007

I'm crossing over county lines, I'm tired of drinking 3.2 beer

If there is any beer that fits the Samuel Jackson beer "It'll get you drunk" mode, it is Dog Fish Head. There are plenty of strong beers, but there are not so many that are delightful as well. Dog Fish Head makes potent, yet palatable beers. The 90 Minute IPA is a very strong 9% alcohol by volume, but is so tasty it is my go to beer.

I just tried the limited edition Burton Baton which is part 90 Minute IPA and part strong ale aged in oak casks. The oak brings a bourbon like sweetness to the beer that was quite nice, although I began to tire of it towards the bottom of the glass. I also noticed the alcohol (10% ABV,) feeling buzzed about 3/4 of the way into the beer. This one is interesting, but I'd rather to stick with the 90 minute IPA.

With their titanic amounts of alcohol, you won't find these beers in all states. A number require that beer be sold at 3.2% ABV, in groceries and markets at least. Here is an article from beer-hating state Utah which claims that the crappy 3.2 limit is good because it forces you to focus on flavor. Sure, and let's all drink decaf so we can learn all the subtleties of the coffee bean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a lovely near-beer last night outside my luxurious Baghdad Bungalow. I found that I achieved a buzz...never. The Mayor of this town only allows 0% ABV. General Order Number One can be summarized as "US military and DoD personnel shall have no fun, while deployed to Iraq." No, I'm not bitter...

- nic

Tripp said...

So sorry to hear about the near beer..or non-beer. I am currently in Maui, which I have to say is probably more fun than Baghdad. And the beer has alcohol in it.

Anonymous said...

I know i'm splitting hairs hear, but Utah beer is not 3.2% abv. Your thinking ABW. Average utah beer on draft or sold in the grocery stores is 4.0% abv.