Saturday, February 03, 2007

Saturday items

Now here is an encouraging story. Civic leaders in a large Mexican city are using books as a means of improving the image and the conduct of their police force. Other cities around the world are expressing interest. It seemed odd to me at first, but then I recalled how much reading can help you understand the perspectives of people different from yourself. It can also provide exemplars for behavior. So good show Mexico.

Powells has a review of My War Gone By, I Miss it So, one of the best books I have ever read.

Many have noted that the world is rapidly moving away from the tank/division based warfare seen in the 20th century. Former British Army General Rupert Smith's new book, The Utility of Force, explores what war might mean in the 21st century and how militaries might be used. Big thinker Niall Ferguson has the NYTimes review.

Check out this Nick Cave/Shane MacGowan duet.

No comments: