Tuesday, May 30, 2006

You pray so hard on bloody knees

So Devil's Rejects is a pretty nasty movie. It was actually less gory than I anticipated, but it is very cruel. The killer Firefly family tortures their victims and much of that is mental. They are repellent people and it is often difficult to watch them. My initial reaction was that there is something wrong in depicting something this vile for entertainment. After some reflection I recalled all the books that depicted similarly cruel characters committing similar crimes. There are whole genres of books in this vein, and they are mainstream. I am thinking of the likes of Mo Hayder here ( and I must admit her new book looks excellent.) So is there a difference in the paper and film media? I don't know myself.

So I did like a lot of the film. There is a wierd humor to it, and I actually laughed in parts (not to killing thank you, but at some of the wierd perspectives.) There is a scene where a Marx Brothers scholar is brought into the police station to provide some intel and it is just great. Director Rob Zombie (the Superbeast himself) sought to capture a 1970s cinematic feel and he did it very well. Everyone looks grimy just like 70s horror movies. The hair, the clothes and even the film itself look like they come from the 70s. So if you can stomach people being incredibly nasty, you may like this.

No comments: