Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Right round round round

I've been meaning to read to one of the 33 1/3 books for awhile now. If you are not familiar with the project, it is a series of books about important rock albums. There is a blog associated with the project. I picked up one titled Let it Be (Replacements) by Colin Meloy, lead singer of the Decembrists. I say titled because it is less about the album or the band that it is about how that album figured in the middle school years of Mr. Meloy. He does a great job writing about how enthusiastic kids get about their music. He also spends a lot of time talking about bonding or trying to bond over music. I'll read more, but Matt says don't read the OK Computer one.

I managed to miss the Replacements in the 80s despite listening to plenty of similar bands. I think it was just harder to get ahold of unfamiliar music, what with crappy radio, MTV's decay, and with limited mix tape making amongst my friends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should brack and i take umbrage with that last line? Are you really going to blame your inability to listen to anything other than Jimmy Buffet on your high school friends' lack of mix-taping?!! For shame t.
-n

Tripp said...

If it wasn't for your stinginess with the mix tapes, maybe I would have seen Big Black play live.

Anonymous said...

I understand that the Meat is Murder one is fiction - the "Black Sheep" of the series, so to speak (though not in the NBN sense of the word).

Brack said...

To my way of thinking in HS, mix-tapes were for dead heads and dudes who got sent off to boarding school but wanted to [unsuccessfully] throw game at a chick back home.

I was neither.

BTW, while Neill B never mixed any tapes for me, I do recall him outright lending me a bunch o' vinyl, including God's Favorite Dog, which - as you well know - contains THE BEST SONG EVER: "He said something's wrong again, he ain't been the same . . ."

b

Tripp said...

oooo fiction with Meat is Murder, each chapter based on a song? Ick?

Am I getting dissed for slacking on converting the cassette I have to digital (God's Fave...)