Thursday, May 14, 2009

Viddy well, little brother, viddy well

There are some songs of which movies have permanently altered my perceptions. I cannot help but think of AirCav assaults whenever I hear "Ride of the Valkyries." I am even given to muttering "This is a Romeo Foxtrot, shall we dance." Sometimes I have a false association, I tend to think of the Omen when I hear O Fortuna, although it was never in the film.

Another such song is Singing in the Rain, forever, tied to the rape scene in Clockwork Orange. I was a little concerned when I saw that one of children's classes would be singing it at the school music show. Fortunately, any associations were swept away by the audience participatory dance segment. It's hard for the mind to wander when you have to pay attention to the next dance step.

No comments: