Sunday, November 02, 2008

Deathwatch

It being Halloween weekend, I needed to watch at least one horror film, so I picked Deathwatch. Set in 1917, it concerns a lost British patrol which stumbles upon and quickly captures a German trench. There are a few Germans still there, but they appear to be frightened of something in the trench. Then things start heading into Twilight Zone territory as strange deaths occur.

I enjoyed the movie well enough, but then I like spooky horror films. There are some great visuals in the movie and a nice sense of claustrophobia as the British find themselves trapped in this strange place. This was Jamie Bell's first movie after Billy Elliot and it represents quite a switch. Andy Serkis plays a Comedian-like maniac who finds that a war zone is just the place for him.

The movie is a tad long and you have a good sense where it is going about two thirds into the film. The ending is effective though and I am glad I watched this one. There is lots of grimness and grime and if horror movies aren't your bag, this won't be either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanna see creepy? Brandon over at Bookstorm (http://www.brandonvon.com/) posted a link to the German fairy tale of "Little Suck-a-Thumb"...and this clip gave me the heebie jeebies!!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-538011027440158787

Tripp said...

Wow, that was pretty horrifying. Now I don't feel so bad when I punish the kids with a horrible time out.