Thursday, November 06, 2008

Michael Crichton

I was to sad to hear that Michael Crichton died at the young age of 66. Through his books he has been a great populizer of scientific ideas (although the anti-global warming crusade is a bit of an issue there) and he of course created the genre of the techno-thriller. One can argue about the merits of that genre, but there are gems in there to be enjoyed. Despite the crappy movie, Congo was an enjoyable book and of course Jurassic Park is the ne plus ultra of the genre. It has been awhile since I have been excited about his new books, but I have to tip my hat at someone who helped engage me as a young reader.

Here
is Peter Suderman on his books and here is James Fallows on Crichton as a person.

2 comments:

kwandongbrian said...

My condolences: clearly Crichton's passing has hit you pretty hard, what with not posting for a week. My sympathies for your loss.

Tripp said...

Thanks for the thoughtfulness! In fact, i have been on vacation and then dealing with work crises. More to come soon!