Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Some of my favorite political songs

Since we are entering an era of likely political ferment, I thought I would mention some of my favorite political songs.

Rolling Stones - High Wire. Who would have thought that the Rolling Stones of all people would offer such a direct criticism of US foreign policy? It may be the only pop song to ever reference the 82nd Airborne.

Midnight Oil - Dead Heart. I am generally leery of earnestness and Midnight Oil is as earnest as the come, but the chorus on this one is irresistible. This is my favorite indigenous rights song.

Pink Floyd - Waiting for the Worms. Anti-fascist anthems are a dime a dozen, but by taking the voice of the wicked, this one sets itself apart. If you simply must have a J'accuse style approach well there is the UK Subs' Police State.

John Vanderslice - Exodus Damage. 9/11 from the perspective of a conflicted militia member.

Scott MacKenzie - San Francisco. This is the hippiest song ever made. It makes American Beauty sound like a Slipknot album. Despite its near ickiness (and the worst breakdown ever,) this is about the only song that makes me kinda sad that I missed the hippie days.

Black Flag - TV Party/ Roger McGuinn- King of the Hill. Two of the better attacks on the America's overemphasis on money and pop culture.

No comments: