Thursday, August 30, 2007

What the?

Since I have been talking about covers, here is a cover mystery. One of my favorite songs of all time is The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Joan Baez made a decent cover, although with some odd word changes ( the Robert E Lee vs. Robert Lee, drove vs. serve for example.) On Ridin the Rails, a TV special, Johnny Cash played part of an awesome cover of the song.

I knew Cash had a studio release of the cover, which I assumed was the Ridin the Rails version. Not so. This appears to be it. It reminds me of late 70s Jimmy Buffett, and I mean that in the worst way possible. What the heck? Who else has made an awesome and a terrible version of the same song?


Anonymous said...

I see to recall that Barbra Streisand had a version of that song.

Brack said...

Trail of Dead also did a version. Pretty decent; aktuelly.

Tripp said...

Nice one Brack.

Since we are dancing on indie street, here we have the Decemeberists doing the same.

And speaking of covers and the Decemberists, here they are covering one of my REM faves Cuyahoga.