Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Catching my fancy

I stopped by Borders to clear my head after a bout of presentation writing. Here are some books that caught my eye.

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation by M.T. Anderson. This one concerns a young black child living with a group of Boston radicals in the revolutionary era. And sadly, they don't have his best interests at heart. Looks weighty for the teen set for whom it is written, but also rather good.

The War for All the Oceans by Roy and Lesley Adkins. Thanks to expertise and history, British and American authors tend to overstate the importance of naval power, but I do enjoy the histories nonetheless.

Seizing Destiny: How America Grew From Sea to Shining Sea by Richard Kluger. The title might make you think this one is geared to the Regnery crowd, but it actually appears to be a rather dark look at the past.

Red Leaves by Thomas Cook. This is an older book, but it looks quite good.

No comments: