Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Transcendent covers

I do love a cover that can stand next to the original. The Sonic Youth cover of the Fall's cover of the Kink's Victoria is such a bizarre take, that I love it despite how it essentially wrecks the song. This is all the more impressive as Victoria is my favorite Kinks song. Here then is the progression:

The Kinks - Victoria
The Fall - Victoria
Sonic Youth (with the Fall) - Victoria

Few other songs have worked so well as both originals and transformed covers. The best example I can think of is Whiskey in the Jar. From Irish folk song to mid 70s rocker to head-banging mosh-pit fodder.

The Dubliners - Whiskey in the Jar
Thin Lizzy - Whiskey in the Jar
Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar

2 comments:

Brack said...

I vote for:

I Fought the Law - Bobby Fuller/The Clash

Hurt - NIN/Johnny Cash

The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie/Nirvana

Tripp said...

Brack,

How can you cite I Fought the Law without bringing up the Dead Kennedy's version (I Fought the Law and I won)