Thursday, July 26, 2007

We all scream

Joanna has an article in Willamette Week about PDX ice cream. She notes that there is no in-house made ice cream in Portland. Compare this to ice cream mecca Boston with Toscaninis, Herrell's, JP Licks, Christina's and many more. The only place in metro Portland that serves homemade ice cream is in Vancouver, WA. Lame.

There is hope, as Joanna reports, in the form of Cool Moon Ice Cream. This new spot will open in Fall 07 across from kid-mecca Jameson Park, which already has the kid friendly Sip N Kranz. The owner is going high concept and I have to say this report makes me eager to try the place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking me, man.
To be fair, there IS house-made ice cream in several restaurants - on the dessert menus. But you are correct - no homemade ice cream shops. It's a head-scratcher, for sure.
Speaking of which, I just finished mixing up a batch of mocha sherbet, made with f-ing strong coffee and very dark cocoa powder. It looks like black mud, but tastes, of course, pretty brilliant.
EVERYBODY MAKE ICE CREAM! It is not difficult.

Anonymous said...

That was me in the last post, btw. Not sure why I came up as anonymous.

Joanna

Tripp said...

It's odd, but despite my love of the ice cream, I rarely go for the ice cream dessert at a restaurant. If it is sitting next to some decadent pie slice, then I will, but I don't often go for it solo.

And yes, making it is totally awesome. Mocha sherbet, hmmm, that one sounds like a nice meal closer.