Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Go ahead, bite the Big Apple

Ah work. It has kept me away from some of my hoped for visits here in NYC, including the mythic creatures exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History. Such is life. I did however make it to Grom, the new gelato place that is straight out of Turin. My experience was mixed, one disappointing flavor and one delightful surprise.

The loser was the gianduja, the chocolate hazelnut combo that is one of my gelato standbys (along with pistachio and amaretto.) There just wasn't enough hazelnut flavor to excite me. And the chocolate was not deep enough to make up for it.

The nougat on the other hand was a real treat. The nougat was broken up into small bits and whipped into rich sweet cream that was one of the best ice creams I have ever tried. Really strong flavor with a mild but effective sweetness. So I should have just gotten the nougat, but the nougat was the reach flavor to the gianduja standby.

Hats off to NYC pizza makers. I ran into a little place to grab a quick bite and I had a slice of pie that would put a place at the top of the city in Portland. Bella Faccia is better but not many other places are.

No comments: