Saturday, July 28, 2007

If you don't bring up the financial parts, this could be a good time

I was staring at my bookshelves today and wondering how it was they seemed so crowded. I had recently unloaded a big pile of books at Powells and a smaller pile of Powells rejects at Goodwill. I traded in some more at the paperback exchange and I also separated out some to mail to friends. So how can it be that my shelves are still crowded. Let's go to the math. Last week I finished three books, the Harry Potter book, Execution Channel, and Fire in the Sky, a lengthy but fantastic study of the 1942-1944 air campaign in the South Pacific. So that is two books I owned and one from the library.

On the hand, I acquired eight new (to me) books making my net impact on book pile +6 for the week. If I didn't have the habit of putting down a book I am not enjoying I would be completely doomed. Let's review the new titles.

Strange Evil by Jane Gaskell. A paper, the Guardian I think, ran one of those articles where well known writers recommend underappreciated works. China Mieville recommended this one. I picked it up for a few bucks on the Amazon Marketplace.

Thirteen by Richard Morgan. As described here, I couldn't not buy this one. Sale price at Powells.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Supposedly awesome. I was wandering Powells waiting for the Richard Morgan line signing to die down. Didn't have to buy it, but I did anyway. Full price Powells.

Drama City by George Pelecanos. If you want a dark view of DC, Pelecanos is your man. Found this at Goodwill for a few dollars.

Something for Nothing by Jackson Lears. Never heard of this one but I saw it when I got the Pelecanos. Just a few bucks, so I said what the hell.

Carry Me Down by M Hyland. Ah yes, literature. At least I can show I am not all genre all the time. I stopped by Second Glance Books and saw this one. Having some credit made the go/no go decision pretty easy, as I have wanted this one for awhile.

Forty Signs of Rain by Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm a bit dubious on this one. Robinson get all kinds of preachy. I do love a good disaster novel though. And there it was at Second Glance.

What is most disturbing (aside from the fiscal irrationality) is how this accurately describes my book buying as driven primarily by circumstance. And given that I tend to read what I have already, I am probably not setting up my reading queue as well as I could or even should. Ideally I would identify the books I want to read and then go get them. I could do this for less money that I spend now. It would be less fun though and would spoil the joy of the serendipitous find. I suspect I will continue to shop in my sub-optimal manner, and thereby continue to stress my shelves.

No comments: