Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tom Ricks coming to Portland!

One of the things I miss about DC is the wealth of speakers, on the political side at least. One person couldn't possibly take in all the testimony, think tank, museum and university speeches on just about every political and international topic under the sun. So I am very happy to see Thomas Ricks coming to Powells to talk about his book Fiasco, now out in paperback. If I had to recommend a single book about the war, it would be that one. Now that it is in paperback, so you really have no excuse not to read it. Ricks will appear on August 9th at 7:30 at the Burnside location. Get there early for a seat. To my great sadness, I will be out of town, but I would be there for certain otherwise.

Have a look at this Ricks chat on the Post for more on Iraq.

Also, he notes that the paperback version contains a new afterword based on more recent events. I wish hardcover readers could have gotten some sort of password with which to access a PDF or a website to visit with the new content.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Powell's had a heckuva deal on the new paperback last night. $11.50. Not too shabby. I even got to ask a question while he signed my book! Woo hoo!

What did you think of the Q&A? I learned a lot. Will be interesting to see if he writes that book about the generals.

Tripp said...

That is a deal.

I'm very sad to say that I could not get away for the event, how was the Q&A? I like Rick's level headed approach to these matters.

A Ricks book on the generals would be quite something. Tommy Franks needs to get a closer look.