Monday, July 30, 2007

Sugar delights

I have been away from Ken Haedrich's Pie book for far too long. I have been meaning to make the Indiana Sugar Cream Pie, but I am the only one in the house that wants to try it. My wife fears that it will be like the horrid Shoe Fly Pie I made.

I had a pile of blueberries on hand so I made the Blueberry Lime Pie instead. Its simple, a pound of berries, a bit of limeade concentrate (melted) some sugar, some tapioca and some lime zest. It tastes like you think it would, a tart blueberry pie. Quite nice and would have been ever better with a bit of vanilla ice cream.

Beaumont Market carries Mexican Coke, the one made with sugar cane rather than HFCS. I guess I am too used to diet cola, as I thought this was like eating sugar right from the bag. It was certainly cleaner and in a sense thinner than the American version. I didn't feel the urge to immediately brush my teeth, as the I did when I drank HFCS soda. But it was still far too sweet for me to drink. Pity.

See's is now offering a dark chocolate (62% cocoa) bar. It was good and at $2 for a largish bar, a good deal as well. I'm happy to see that See's continues to develop the dark side of things.

No comments: