Sunday, July 08, 2007

OBX

It has been close to 20 years since I have spent a beach vacation on the Outer Banks, and I was a little leery of the visit. Being crotchety, I was concerned that it would be too overdeveloped to enjoy it. Well, it was certainly more developed than I would like, but it was an ideal family vacation spot. We found just sitting on the beach was great fun, but seeking digging coquinas on Coquina Beach, watching the gators feed at the NC Aquarium at Manteo, sitting on the lawn of the Blue Point, and kayaking at Corolla were all highlights. Sadly, we did not manage a visit to Jockey's Ridge.

Speaking of Jockey's Ridge, I had remembered a mini-gold course located at the south end of the park. I recalled a pirate ship, a castle and other interesting features. On recent day trips to the area, there was no park. Fearing early onset dementia, I kept quiet about it. It turns out that the dune moved on top of the minigolf park. Not crazy yet it seems.

No comments: