Thursday, June 07, 2007

Noise rock alert

Pitchfork doesn't really like the new Shellac (that's right. . . THE NEW SHELLAC,) but as they cheekily note:

You're not even really reading this. Why would you? I could rate this album a 12 divided by Q or say it's on par with seven ham-and-cheese Hot Pockets and it wouldn't matter. Anyone who cares has already marched to their nearest independent retailer and purchased Excellent Italian Greyhound, laughed aloud at the dog picture, shook the unmarked CD from the gatefold cover (because Steve Albini hates digital recordings-- and you), and spun the vinyl with warm, grating satisfaction. The reviews are irrelevant, and one from Pitchfork probably means even less to Shellac listeners than most.

Note the subtle hint of general Pitchfork irrelevancy. Touching.

By the way, as a nod to the band, I was going to call this blog The Blog Against Itself. My wife that was stupid and didn't mean anything. So instead I picked a name that makes me look like a loser jackass. Truth in advertising, I suppose.

Update: I just listened to the new version of Spoke. It lacks the visceral madness of the Peel Session version, but the goofy intro is excellent.

4 comments:

Brack said...

Oh YEAH! Too bad Albini didn't cover that butterfly song.

Tripp said...

ScrEEEEEEEEE....You...Screeeee....SCREEEEE My.....drAAANNNNG...Butterfly

Anonymous said...

Tripp-bo, yesterday when I was buying dog food and baby wipes at the grocery store across the street from my house, who should I find standing in line in front of me at the checkout? None other than Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips. He was accosted by some college kids on the way out and looked a little frightened. Sven.

Tripp said...

Ah one of the many joys of OKC, the local celebrities. With that and Braum's, why live anywhere else?