Thursday, June 14, 2007

Blumesday!

If you live in Portland, you should block out Saturday night for Blumesday. Yes, I know I can barely spell, but this is not a celebration of the Irish exile, rather a celebration of children's author Judy Blume. A number of local writers, led by Heather Larimer and Joanna Miller, will read from the Blume oeuvre and share their own experiences with growing up with Judy. As it is being held at the Bagdad, you can have a pint while you enjoy the show.

You can make a day of it by visiting the Judy Blume map at the Hollywood library and by reading some of Blume's books next to the Ramona, Henry Huggins and Ribsy statues at Grant Park.

Update: Thanks to Joanna for politely reminding me that Ramona and friends are Beverly Cleary characters. It's the lack of coffee, I swear.

7 comments:

Brack said...

Klickitabulous.

Tripp said...

You know that my cross-street is in fact, Klickitat.

Brack said...

Nevertheless, until you start calling one of your familiy members "Ribsy," you will have no Klickitat Kred.

My vote is that M gets a name change.

joanna said...

Thanks for the plug, Tripp. I appreciate it.

Just to be clear - JUDY BLUME and BEVERLY CLEARY are two diffent authors, equally beloved by me. The latter is the author of Ramona, Ribsy, etc.and the one with Hollywood neighborhood (in Portland) roots.

Judy Blume is responsible for such pivotal works as Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, Blubber, Forever, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Then Again, Maybe I Won't (the one that taught me about wet dreams - ewww... boys are gross!)

Anyway - I hope you all can make it. It should be fun. I'll be reading from my Judy Blume diary - yikes!!

Tripp said...

DAG NABBIT. I did the author switcheroo the other day too. The nice thing about blogging is that when you do a dumb ass mistake like this, it is up there forever.

Melissa and many of her amigos (amigas?) are heading out Saturday.

Brack said...

Ummm, Bridgetotarabodacious?

In all seriousness, the Penrod series by Booth Tarkington is one of my faves of the genre.

Tripp said...

I am woefully unfamiliar with the works of Mr. Tarkington, but I am pleased to see that Penrod is part of the Library of Indiana series.

http://www.amazon.com/Penrod-Library-Indiana-Classics-Tarkington/dp/0253203619