Thursday, June 21, 2007

Mixed greens

Nerd World brings news of a potential Strong Bad movie. I haven't been into that web cartoon for some time, but I hold out hope. Of immediate interest in the same post is the joke trailer with Seth Rogen.

Here is a link to a paper that argues that Soviet economic policies brought them low.

Do you read Gideon Rachman's foreign policy blog on the FT? It's quite good. He is their foreign correspondent and was previously with the Economist. Check his profile on Christopher Hitchens that includes a vignette on Hitchen's idea of fun " Then, seeing that I was a little taken aback, he added: “No, I do understand.” But I could see he didn’t. The thought that anybody might not want to stay up all night, drinking Johnny Walker and discussing Oswald Mosley was all but incomprehensible."

He isn't impressed with Fred Thompson as a foreign policy thinker. He closes with this: "I find it hard - or perhaps just alarming - to imagine Fred Thompson as president. He seemed to me to be not terribly bright. Mind you, look at the current occupant of the White House."

Check out the first of the new Indiana Jones Lego figures. In our house, Lego kits are built once and then go into the giant bin of Lego parts. So it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy the pricey branded ones. Still that Indy is pretty cool.

And finally, here is my kind of blog, Naval Warfare. Each post covers a historically important naval vessel. Here we have the monitor Monadnock. This one ended up traveling all the way to Asia, which is a scary thought for a ship with a few feet of freeboard. I am happy to see that Mt. Monadnock got a ship, as I have climbed this mountain. This is no big feat, as you can easily walk to its approximately 3,500 foot summit. The New Hampshire park service says it may be the second most climbed mountain in the world (after Fuji).

No comments: