Sunday, June 03, 2007

Another book sale windfall

I considered not attending this weekend's Friends of the Multnomah County Library Book Sale. This is the small Spring event to help clear inventory ahead of the big event in the Fall. I'm glad I went as I quickly hit my more-books-than-I-can-uncomfortably-carry limit. Among this weekend's finds (all either new or in close to new shape) and for $24.

Lee's Lieutenants. To be fair, this is a book that I want to own, on the very off chance that I will ever read it. I picked up Stephen Sears's abridgement of Douglas Southall Freeman's epic three volume monster on Confederate Army officers. Since I probably won't read it, you might ask why I didn't look for the three volume edition. I'd rather have a book I probably won't read over one I most surely won't.

The First Crusade by Thomas Asbridge. I've been eyeballing this one for some time. I believe he ties this into the overall Christendom vs. Islam story without being a 21st century finger-wagger.

Running Blind by Lee Child. I loved the first two Child books, but put the third one down. I like to give a man another chance.

Losing Nelson by Barry Unsworth. Unsworth is one of my favorite contemporary British writers (and I like a lot of them.) Tie that into my love of naval history and I think we have a winner.

Strip Jack by Ian Rankin. I like to read mystery novels in order, and I decided to skip ahead on Rankin. I figure his later ones are better anyway.

Son of the Morningstar by Evan S Connell. This is a history covering Custer and the Battle of Little Bighorn. Connell is an excellent writer so I can't wait to see how he handles this one.

The White Lioness by Henning Mankell. A nice brooding mystery author. When I took my stack up to the cashier the sale volunteer wailed that he wished he had seen this one. The volunteers get the first look and descend on all the choice books I take it.

UPDATE: As all know, I love both Multnomah Public Library and the Friends of the Library, so I did not mean to disparage, merely to kid. Sorry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to clarify that volunteers are not allowed to purchase books prior to the sale per FOL policy...no matter what lustful comment they make.

Tripp said...

Hey, I was teasing anyway, but thanks for the comment. I didn't mean to hint at a Vast Volunteer Conspiracy. As my list implies, I for one left with a very heavy and pleasing pile of books.