Monday, June 11, 2007

I'm tired

So I started reading the Italian Letter, but I have grown weary and I stopped reading. I must be suffering some degree of Bush/Iraq fatigue. I mean if Cobra 2 , the One Percent Doctrine and Fiasco weren't enough to give me pause, I really shouldn't bother reading. I think the Italian Letter story is part of the overall theme of Hubris, which I plan to read at some point.

Anyway, after such serious Bush critiquing I was dismayed to see this headline from a Q&A with author Pete Hammill: "[Bush and Cheney] didn't grow up in Brooklyn, where you know if you punch a guy in the mouth, he's going to come back with three other guys and punch you back." He goes on to say that because Bush and Cheney grew up rich, they just don't get such things.

Amazingly, I wager that thousands of people read this and thought this was an intelligent thing to say. I'm not sure which is worse, the casually made link between background and foreign policy or the annoying trait of New Yorkers to think that we all care about Brooklyn.

No comments: